Tuesday evening, we had a potluck cocktail party on board a boat which toured around Korcula. It was cloudy and sprinkled a bit, but the water was smooth saling. During the day, we had each bought a bottle of wine or something we thought might make a nice appetizer and we shared it all on board. As most potlucks do, it all worked out, and none of us wanted any dinner afterward.
Earlier that day, I had had battered sardines for lunch (little fish, Cheron!!) and they didn't really agree with me. Too greasy, I think. My only bout thus far requiring a little medicinal encouragement. But it helped, and by the cocktail party, I was fine.
That night was the storm, and once again, by morning, there were patches of blue and beautiful birdsong. However, on our way to the ferry to get off the island, the sheets of rain came down so hard I was astonished.
Lunch today gave a new meaning to the word carnivorous. We were told that they serve salad for foreigners, but it never really occurs to the natives to eat such things. This is one of those times we are grateful to no longer be vegetarians!! We would have starved!
Today we are in a new country, Bosnia Herzegovina. Mostar is the home of the famous bridge that was bombed during the war here after uniting the city since 1557. We had a guide today who lived through that war and she said as hard as their life was, as long as the bridge stood, they felt like they had a city. When it went down, their hearts went with it. So it was hugely important and symbolic to rebuild it. The stories she told of the war and trying to survive it with her husband and 5 year old child were heartbreaking. Many of us were in tears by the time she finished,. She told us it is her life's mssion now to talk to people from all over the world so they willl understand and not let it happen again. She says "It does not matter what religion we are or what country we live inside, we are all the same. We are all the same." She was so inspiring. After listening to her, I was ashamed I had groused about our communist era hotel and it's lack of amenities. How much we take for granted!!
Today, we also heard our first Muslim call to prayer coming from the many minarets around town. I'm not sure I've ever heard that in person before. It was really quite beautiful. The streets of old town are paved with huge cobblestones. It's like a reflexology treatment walking on them. Some are in beautiful patterns. You just never know what you're going to find nextI
I've heard that the comment function doesn't seem to be working. Nuts! I'd love to hear from you. Send me an email. Those seem to get through to me just fine.
I'm enjoying your travel blog, Christy. Other than the weather, it sounds like you are having a great trip! You're lucky you are missing all the political wrangling and government shutdown. Can you believe they closed Yellowstone Park??
ReplyDelete